Looking for THE RIGHT EQUINE Partner?
Adopt A HORSE! Apply Here
A purchase does not offer the amazing, helpful things adoption does.
- Heart of Phoenix has a reputation that makes adopters proud to partner with us
- We have a mission meaningful enough that adopters are happy to honor their adoption agreements
- We have an easy way to identify and protect adopted horses with a well-known freeze brand and microchip
- We have a sensible screening program that isn’t overbearing
- HOP offers a friendly “open return” policy that doesn’t make an adopter embarrassed or afraid to return the horse
- With our “good match” program, you know we do our best to make sure the horse is A GOOD FIT before adoption
- We offer ongoing support and education to our adopters
Apply At Anytime. Approvals are good for 6 months and apply to any suitable horse in the rescue for you.
Remember, you must submit the $15 Application Fee via mail or paypal.
More About Adoption:
- We have a Right Horse, Right Match guarantee. If the equine doesn’t end up working out, the horse simply comes back to Heart of Phoenix. There are never any hard feelings, and we refund (up to) the full adoption fee. Better yet, we will work with you to see if another horse within our organization would be a better fit.
- We understand the adoption inquiry and adoption agreement could seem like extra steps, but we make up for those few extra steps by keeping our adoption fees at 50% or less of what the same horse would cost if you were purchasing.
- If you or your child outgrow your horse in skill or size, no worries. If you’ve been a great adopter but aren’t able to afford multiple horses, you can rest assured your horse can come back to HOP, you have not lost your adoption fee, and you are welcome to adopt a horse that works better for you.
- If you lose your job or your income changes or your health declines, you never have to worry about what will happen to your adopted horse. Our adoption agreement is patterned to stand behind the horse forever, you and your horse are protected. Your horse just comes back to Heart of Phoenix, and you know he will find a new, suitable home, and we refund (up to) the full adoption fee.
- Adoption doesn’t require fancy facilities, you can board or keep the horse at your own property.
- Most people are so happy with their adoptive horse, horses rarely come back to HOP, but when it happens, it is usually due to a move or change income. It is rarely because the horse wasn’t a great fit.
- The horses come with upfront and honest assessments. The horses are current on vetting, training and farrier care.
Adopters are continually impressed with how MUCH Heart of Phoenix works to make adoption a GREAT OPTION for people in the horse world.
After you’re approved, when you select a horse, you then sign an adoption agreement when you take your horse home.
Get in touch with us to discuss any questions or concerns you have or text: visit this page for our text number
The DETAILS you need to adopt:
- Please only Apply once you’re certain you want to give adoption a try and are committed to the bit if time it takes for us to complete the application process.
- Apply only once you have all needed information.
- Some Horses can be SUPER popular, and they often receive many applications. Sometimes this means even if approved, the horse you’re interested in may be adopted be an earlier applicant.
- An approved Application is required to meet the adoptable horses. Once your application is approved, you can meet the horses that may fit your needs at their foster location.
- We are looking for adopters that provide a happy and healthy environment for horses, have a suitable experience level for the adoptable horse, are looking for a long term partner and can afford the basic needs (feed, shelter, training, vet care, farrier care and dental care) of a horse.
- We adopt to the first approved application that is a good fit for an equine except during special events like the Appalachian Trainer Face Off.Applications are processed by volunteers, so while we try to be quick, it may take a week to several depending how quickly your references get back with us.
— EXTRA TIPS —
We look for a well maintained fence, at least a 3 sided shelter in poor weather, access to clean water and a place free of overcrowding, extreme mud or manure.
Boarding facility are happily accepted if they meet these above terms.
We adopt nationwide.
Your Care History:
For Current or Previous Equine Owners:
We need to establish a clear pattern of good care and horsemanship. We ask for additional references to help get the best picture of your riding level and personality. If you currently have horses, we must have a vet, farrier (dental if you do not use your vet for floats) references, as well as an equine, personal and professional reference.
If you are new to ownership or have limited history with horses when you apply:
If you have not owned a horse before or do not have a sufficient reference history for traditional adoption, we have a program that streamlines the adoption process if you wish to board with a previously approved boarding facility within our network for 12 months to learn about horsemanship, riding and care before taking a horse to your own facility or another out of network facility. In most cases, even if our traditional adoption process does not fit, this process will work for most individuals.
These adoptions mean the horse is in a full care boarding situation for a year with a modified adoption agreement initially. Afterward, if all is going well, the adopter can move the horse to their own location. For these applications, a small animal vet reference goes a long way, and we will need personal and professional references, as well.
FOR ALL APPLICANTS:
Equine dentist, 4H leaders, Pet Vets, Trainers and boarding barn owners you work with all make wonderful references.
Please make sure they know we will be calling or they know to contact us to make things move quickly, so you can meet your NEW “POTENTIAL” HORSE.
A horse can only be adopted to someone who can easily handle and ride the horse they select. The only exception is when an adopter comes with a trainer and is boarding and working with a trainer in a facility. If you are a beginner rider and owner, we can help you get on the path to becoming a capable rider and owner through our programs, so reach out and ask us how we can help.
Sounds awesome, right?
ONCE YOU’VE APPLIED: AN FAQ
Sign Your Adoption Agreement after you’ve been approved and meet your RIGHT HORSE
- The process can take several days to several weeks, depending on how quickly we can touch base with your references and how quickly they get in touch with us. Feel free to check in during the process. Please call your references and explain a representative from Heart of Phoenix will be contacting them shortly or explain they need to contact us. You are responsible to ask ALL references to return our calls or messages or to contact us.
- Applications will be denied if their references refuse to be helpful and courteous. Applicants can also be denied if they are personally rude and unhelpful during their own interviews. The Application must be approved by our Board of Directors unanimously. Fact is, almost everyone who applies is able to be approved, so don’t be too worried.
- First approved applicant who makes an appointment to visit a horse and is a good fit as the first option to adopt that horse.
- If you’re approved, Please get in touch to arrange a meeting at the foster location where the horse you are interested in resides in a timely manner. We cannot hold horses if other applicants are waiting for a chance to meet the same horse.
- Only Approved Adopters may visit the horses. Once approved, you can meet Any horse that could meet your needs within the rescue. You are not obligated or expected to adopt UNLESS The horse is a GREAT MATCH for you. Should you meet another HOP horse during a visit that may work better, you’re welcome to consider another horse if you’re approved to adopt.
- The Adoption Agreement: Have the Adoption Agreement read and signed once you Select a Horse. A horse cannot leave our facility without this agreement signed.
- You must arrange safe transport or afford to hire reputable transport for your adoptive horse. Horses will not leave in unsafe trailers for any reason. Transport is a cost the adopter must cover. Transporter suggestions are located here.
- You may pay the adoption fee via mail, in person or via paypal. Payment must be made by adoption transport day.
- If you need a Health Certificate, let us know ahead of time. Cost of this is the adopters full responsibility.
ONCE YOU’VE ADOPTED:
- Photos of your newly adopted horse at your facility must be emailed, text or sent via Facebook within 2 days of arriving at your facility. You must send photo updates every month via email or social media to HOP. After the first year, you shall provide yearly updates that are current with photos, please.
- Ownership is released to new owners after 12 months and vet exam on their adopted horse. Adopters with a previous history of equine ownership receive ownership after 90 days.
- Remember, Heart of Phoenix retains legal first option to all of our horses. Our horses cannot be sold, as that violates the legally binding adoption agreement. Should you cease to be able to provide care for any reason, Heart of Phoenix will always utilize this first right option and accept the HOP horse back with a refund of (up to the full) adoption fee paid. If someone you know would like to adopt the HOP horse you have, they are always welcome to apply and may do so, if approved.
- We do not adopt more than 2 horses to any applicant within a 6 month period of time. Adoptions of more than 2 are possible with an extremely strong equine history, income verification and only if you own your property.
|Foster Horse Locations
Huntington, WV – Ashland, Ky – St. Albans, WV – Canmer, Ky – Grayson, Ky – Coal Grove, OH – Sunni Bell Stables, PA – Lesage, WV – Milton, WV