Why Adopt a Horse?
- Heart of Phoenix has a reputation that makes adopters proud to partner with us
- We have a mission meaningful enough that adopters are happy to honor their adoption agreements
- We have an easy way to identify and protect adopted horses with a well-known freeze brand and microchip
- We have a sensible screening program that isn’t overbearing
- HOP offers a friendly “open return” policy that doesn’t make an adopter embarrassed or afraid to return the horse
- With our “good match” program, you know we do our best to make sure the horse is A GOOD FIT before adoption
- We offer ongoing support and education to our adopters.
We are looking to adopt to safe homes. A history of good horsemanship, the ability to provide sufficient care with good vet, farrier and peer references are important.
Our adoption process makes sure you get the right horse for you – it is a no fail process for finding the right match.
Each adopted horse goes to a home under an adoption agreement that provides terms to keep the horse safe for his/her natural life, so if the horse doesn’t work for you, the horse comes back to us, and the adoption fee is refunded. Adopted horses cannot be used for breeding or re-sale or be given away, but they are YOUR horses, as long as you care for them and want to keep them.
If you are NEW to horses, CLICK HERE for the our Beginner Adoption Program
If you have owned or adopted horses before, then read on for our traditional adoption process:
Submit Your Adoption Application Here (This application is electronically submitted online.)
As well as:
- Once you review the Full Adoption Information page, apply electronically online here (it takes about 20 minutes, on average and can be saved)
- Send a copy of your driver’s license
- Photos of your facility fence, pastures and current horses. You may also message our Facebook page, if that is easier for you
- Household income (paystubs, W2, or whatever means you need to use with SSN marked out)
- Submit the application fee of $15.00 via paypal at Equinerescue@live.com or mail to: PO BOX 81 / Shoals, WV 25562
- Send this link to your professional, equine and personal references
- LET YOUR Farrier and VET know we will be calling and give them permission to talk to us
- Approvals are good for 12 months for any horse that is a good match for your skill set and needs. Your are not expected to adopt just because you’re approved.
- Email to Equinerescue@live.com
On adoption day. Make sure you visit this link to fill out our check list before you arrive.
Quick Access Forms: