Looking for THE RIGHT EQUINE Partner?
Adopt A HORSE!
1. We have a Right Horse, Right Match guarantee, and this means, if the equine doesn’t end up working out, the horse simply comes back to Heart of Phoenix, never any hard feelings, and we refund the adoption fee. Better yet, we will work with you to see if another horse within our organization would be a better fit. The horses also come with upfront and honest assessments, a major goal of finding the right home, and the horses are current on thorough vetting, training and farrier care.
2. We understand the adoption inquiry and adoption agreement could seem like extra steps, but keep in mind, we make up for those few extra steps by keeping our adoption fees at 50% or less of what the same horse would cost if you were purchasing traditionally. We hope to do all we can to encourage folks to take a bit of extra time because the #RIGHTHORSE is worth it!
3. If you or your child outgrow your horse in skill or size, no worries, because if you’ve been a great adopter and need to find another horse but aren’t able to afford multiple horses, you can rest assured your horse can come come back to HOP, you have not lost your adoption fee, and you are welcome to adopt a horse that works better for you.
4. If you lose your job or your income changes or your health declines, you never have to worry about what will happen to your adopted horse because our adoption agreement is patterned to stand behind the horse forever, you and your horse are protected. Your horse just comes back to Heart of Phoenix, and you know he will find a new, suitable home, and we refund the full adoption fee.
5. Adoption doesn’t require fancy facilities, it allows you to board or keep the horse at your own property. It isn’t invasive . . . basically, adoption helps you figure out if you’re ready for another horse and what horse is a good match for you by putting a host of equine experts at your fingertips to HELP YOU!
6. Most people are so happy with their adoptive horse, horses rarely come back to HOP, so when it happens, it is usually due to a move or change income. It is rarely because the horse wasn’t a great fit. We make it easy to return your adopted horse, no worries!
7. Adopters are continually impressed with how MUCH Heart of Phoenix works to make adoption a GREAT OPTION for people in the horse world.
The most important thing to us is matching the right horse with the right home. We do all we can to facilitate the RIGHT MATCH so that the horse and rider have a great future together. We understand all placements cannot last forever. Our goal is a a good match for a happy future, though.
Sounds awesome, right? Alrighty, let’s apply!
Please do not let the Adoption process deter you! Get in touch with us to discuss any questions or concerns you have.
OUR GOAL is GOOD HOMES FOR AMAZING Horses, and we need You to feel this is a great process for both you and your future horse.
As long as you provide a safe, healthy environment for horses, Are dedicated to finding a long term partner, are able to afford the basic needs of an equine where vet care, farrier care and dental care are provided and care about finding a horse that meets your skill level, You should be a good candidate for a HOP horse! We are not looking for fancy barns, we are looking for kind and safe homes!
We adopt to the first approved application that is a good fit for an equine. Applications are processed by volunteers, so while we try to be quick, it may take a week to several depending how quickly your references get back with us.
Have Questions? Just ask, and HOP can also connect you many of our hundreds of HAPPY ADOPTERS across the USA.
A few things we ask of interested applicants:
- Please only Apply once you’re certain you want to give adoption a try and are committed to the bit if time it takes for us to complete the application process. This process is tailored to help us better know what horse might work for you.
- Apply once you have all needed information.
- Some Horses can be SUPER popular, and they often receive many applications. The only way to have a bit of an advantage is apply before a horse like this is even in the rescue and have a pre-approval. The pre-approval means, if the horse is a good match for you based on the application and an in person meeting, you likely will be able to adopt when the horse is ready.
Your Application is filled out and processed before you meet the adoptable horses. Once your application is approved, you can meet the horses that may fit your needs at their foster location (fosters are in WV, Ohio, Ky, PA)
We have very sensible requirements at HOP. We ask for a well maintained fence, at least a 3 sided shelter in poor weather, access to clean water and a place free of overcrowding for the horse. Barbed wire is typically not accepted if old, loose or used around areas where horses congregate for feeding. Boarding facility are happily accepted if they meet these above terms. We adopt nationwide.
Your Care History:
In order to verify a good care history, we will need a vet and farrier reference. We ask for additional references to help get the best picture of your riding level and personality . This helps us be sure you’re a good fit for adoption and help us know which horse(s) may work well for you. If you currently own horses, an equine vet and farrier are two important references. If you are new to ownership, a small animal vet reference if you have pets can work. A very solid vet reference goes a long way, and if your small animal vet knows you best, this reference can work well for any application. Equine dentist, 4H leaders, Trainers and boarding barn owners you work with all make wonderful references. Please make sure they know we will be calling or they know to contact us to make things move quickly, so you can meet your NEW “POTENTIAL” HORSE.
A horse can only be adopted to someone who can easily handle and ride the horse they select. The only exception is when an adopter comes with a trainer and is working with a trainer in a facility. If you are a beginner rider and owner, we can help you get on the path to becoming a capable rider and owner through our programs, so reach out and ask us how we can help.
The application is easy to complete and is submitted online.
Email a copy of your driver’s license, facility fence, pastures and current horses to: email@example.com (if text is easier, let us know)
Remember, you must submit the $15 Application Fee via mail or paypal. The address is PO BOX 81 / Shoals, WV 25562 or Paypal: Equinerescue@live.com. Applications take days of volunteer time to complete, and it is important you are serious about meeting a HOP horse.
It can be a bit of a wait while we work on the Application.
- The process can take several days to several weeks depending on how quickly we can touch base with your references and how quickly they get in touch with us. Feel free to check in during the process. Please call your references and explain a representative from Heart of Phoenix will be contacting them shortly or explain they need to contact us. You are responsible to ask ALL references to return our calls or messages or to contact us.
- Applications will be denied if their references refuse to be helpful and courteous. Applicants can also be denied if they are personally rude and unhelpful during their own interviews. The Application must be approved by our Board of Directors unanimously. Fact is, almost everyone who applies is able to be approved, so don’t be too worried.
- First approved applicant who makes an appointment to visit a horse and is a good fit as the first option to adopt that horse.
- If you’re approved, Please get in touch to arrange a meeting at the foster location where the horse you are interested in resides in a timely manner. We cannot hold horses if other applicants are waiting for a chance to meet the same horse.
- Only Approved Adopters may visit the horses. Once approved, you can meet Any horse that could meet your needs within the rescue. You are not obligated or expected to adopt UNLESS The horse is a GREAT MATCH for you. Should you meet another HOP horse during a visit that may work better, you’re welcome to consider another horse if you’re approved to adopt.
- The Adoption Agreement: Have the Adoption Agreement read and signed once you Select a Horse. A horse cannot leave our facility without this agreement signed.
- You must arrange safe transport or afford to hire reputable transport for your adoptive horse. Horses will not leave in unsafe trailers for any reason. Transport is a cost the adopter must cover. Transporter suggestions are located here.
- You may pay the adoption fee via mail, in person or via paypal. Payment must be made by adoption transport day.
- If you need a Health Certificate, let us know ahead of time. Cost of this is the adopters full responsibility.
Photos of your newly adopted horse at your facility must be emailed, text or sent via Facebook within 2 days of arriving at your facility. You must send photo updates every month via email or social media to HOP. After the first year, you shall provide yearly updates that are current with photos, please.
Ownership is released to new owners after 12 months and vet exam on their adopted horse. Adopters with a previous history of equine ownership receive ownership after 90 days.
Remember, Heart of Phoenix retains legal first option to purchase back all of our horses. Our horses cannot be sold. So should you cease to be able to provide care for any reason, Heart of Phoenix will always utilize this first right option and accept the HOP horse back with a refund of the fee. If someone you know would like to adopt the HOP horse you have, they are always welcome to apply and may do so, if approved.
We do not adopt more than 2 horses to any applicant within a 6 month period of time. Adoptions of more than 2 are possible with an extremely strong equine history, income verification and only if you own your property.
Foster Horse Locations